Central Saanich Police Service was incorporated in 1951. The first Chief of Police and sole member of the department was Chief Vernon Lawley. He, along with the occasional volunteer, took good care of the area’s 2,200 residents. In 1953, Chief Fred Brownlee, a retired Mountie N.C.O., took over the responsibilities of Chief of Police. Chief Brownlee hired a part-time Constable, who was also building inspector and assessor. His policing duties involved one evening relief shift a week for the Chief. For 17 years, Chief Brownlee effectively policed the area with a personal touch not often seen in law enforcement.
In the late 90’s the Police Department changed it’s name to Police Service. ‘Service’ more accurately reflects the community policing we provide to the citizens of Central Saanich.
May 15th, 2008 our official Coat of Arms and Police Badge was approved by the Chief Herald of Canada. The shield is adapted from the arms created for the district of Central Saanich by Professor A.L.C. Atkinson in 1968. The central strip alludes to the Saanich Peninsula and the salmon and the stylized waves indicate the close proximity of the ocean. The thunderbird represents the heritage of the local First Nations. The red rose refers to the community’s British heritage and the local flower cultivation history, as well as local attractions such as the famous Butchart Gardens, the arms of which Butchart Gardens Limited granted by the Chief Herald of Canada in 1994, include a red rose and a Tibetan blue poppy.
The police badge is the standard pattern of a municipal police badge in Canada. The arms and motto, Strength Through Community, indicate local identity, while the maple leaves Canada and the dogwood flower British Columbia refer to our geographical location . The Royal Crown indicates the role of the Service’s officers in protecting the Crown’s laws.