It is important that you listen to the call taker’s questions and answer them clearly to assist police in responding to your needs.
When should I call 9-1-1?
- Life or death emergency – if you fear for your imminent safety or another person’s imminent safety
- Crime in progress – you witness a crime actively taking place
When should I call the non-emergency phone number, 250-652-4441?
- You are not in imminent danger
- To report a crime that has occurred but is not currently taking place
What information do I need to provide when I call police?
- Location of the incident (report the crime in the jurisdiction where it occurred, for example, if your vehicle was stolen in Central Saanich contact Central Saanich Police Service)
- Your full legal name, date of birth, address and phone number (this information may be needed for further investigation into the incident or for court purposes, it is also important for police to have up to date records should you need police attendance in the future)
- Incident details